Character problems after WordPress upgrade on Bluehost

seal_on_rockI recently upgraded the WordPress install on BlueHost at Kargs.net. The install and upgrade were done using the Fanstastico user interface. After the install, I found that some of the characters in the older postings (mostly the quote character) were shown as unusual characters. After a number of searches, I found the solution.

1. Modify the wp-config.php by commenting out

//define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
//define('DB_COLLATE', '');

2. Modify the wp-config-sample.php by commenting out

//define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
//define('DB_COLLATE', '');

The second file, wp-config-sample.php, is used to prevent breakage in future upgrades.

About skarg

I write software for a living. So, I dedicated some web space for some stuff that I have worked on. I mostly write embedded C for PC based controllers, but I have dabbled in a few other areas as well.
This entry was posted in hosting. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *